- This event has passed.
Social Security Planning
August 23, 2022
Time: 10:00am | Cost: Free
Speaker: David Jenkins, Wealth Adviser
When to start taking your Social Security benefit is one of the most important retirement planning decisions you will face. You’ve been paying into the system your whole working life. Our wealth adviser David Jenkins shows you how to get the most out of it.
Have you been wondering:
- How much will my benefit be reduced if I claim Social Security at 62?
- Is it worth it to wait until my “full retirement age?”
- Why would anyone want to delay starting Social Security until 70?
- How will my Social Security claiming decision impact my spouse?
- I wasn’t in the workforce very long, how much Social Security can I expect to receive based on my spouse’s benefit?
- I am divorced. Can I claim a benefit based on my ex’s Social Security benefit?
- The news headlines say the Social Security Trust Fund will run dry by 2035. What will happen to my benefits?
In this half-hour presentation, you’ll learn:
- How your Social Security benefit is determined.
- The rules for when you can claim your Social Security benefit.
- The penalties for claiming Social Security before your “full retirement age.”
- How to estimate the “credits” for a delayed claiming strategy.
- The rules for Spousal Benefits and Survivor Benefits.
- The rules for Divorced Spousal Benefits and Divorced Survivor Benefits.
- The future outlook for Social Security.